Monday, March 11, 2013

My Birthday Is Thursday - Time For An Assessment



E. A. Black writers horror, dark fiction, erotica, and erotic romance. She lives with her husband, son, and four cats near the ocean in northeastern Massachusetts. Visit her web sites. Romance: Elizabeth Black. Horror and dark fiction: E. A. Black

------

Hi, there. My name is E. A. Black, and my birthday is in three days. March 14.

It's also Steak and BJ Day. Oh, joy.

I normally assess my life progress around New Year's Day but the panic really sets in on my birthday. Thursday is also Steak and BJ Day. Steak and BJ Day is the dude's answer to Valentine's Day. Guys who put out for chocolates, fancy dinners, and flowers on Valentine's Day demand payback exactly one month later. They want steak. BJs. Toss in some beer. . . They're easy to please

A month later, on April 14, is Cake and Cunnilingus Day. Women had to have the last laugh.


Since I'm fortunate enough to have my birthday fall on Steak and BJ Day, I can't help but think about my sex writing. I have one story with Mocha Memoirs Press called "Alicia". That one is a short romantic horror story. Most of what I've written is erotica, erotic romance, and non-fiction sex articles.

Yes, I make my living writing smut. :)

"Alicia" is sort of related to this writing in that it's a sweet (albeit dark) romance. "Sweet" means "no sex". You won't find my characters doing the backseat Mambo in that particular story. You'll find explicit sex in my other short stories, novels, and novellas. My question for myself on my birthday is this:  Do I want to continue writing erotic fiction and non-fiction?

Yes, but I want to expand. My horror has been getting published over the past year. "Alicia" was one of the first stories, published October, 2012. I got the idea from an episode of "Medium". Remember that old TV show, starring Patricia Arquette? Alicia is a young, kind woman whose abusive husband regularly beats her to a bloody pulp. She's trying to get out of the marriage intact. Her good friend Eric - who is in love with her - comes to her rescue when she flees home in the middle of the night. But things are not what they seem, as always is the case in stories like this one. Here's a brief excerpt:
 Eric stepped out of the shower and a foul stench—mingled with the crisp peppermint of his shampoo—smacked him in the face and left a coppery taste in the back of his throat. His stomach heaved. Confused, he looked around the room to figure out where the smell came from, but he couldn't pinpoint it. Dread clung to him, dark and sticky, ruining his relaxed mood. The light bulbs over the sink hummed, casting harsh yellow light about the room. He shaded his eyes against the glare, trying to see. 

Why were those lights so bright? Something was terribly wrong in his peaceful world, and not knowing what it was frightened him.

His wife Alicia brushed her teeth as if nothing was unusual, while the stink of rot lurked beneath the cool mint of his shampoo. Why didn't she notice the smell? 

He leaned towards her to place his hand on her shoulder, and she turned her face towards his for a kiss on the cheek. Ugly, purple bruises darkened her eyes. He pulled away, repulsed and alarmed, not quite sure what he was seeing. One side of her face had swelled to a dark mask, not unlike a pumpkin that had been left outside in the damp earth to rot. An angry red welt encircled her throat like a bloody ribbon wrapped around her neck. Frightened, he reached out one hand but he couldn't bring himself to touch her swollen face. Touching her would make the vision real and it couldn't be real. 

Alicia spat in the sink. Two of her teeth bounced against the porcelain. Blood tainted the paste. 

"The girls are running late again." Alicia's bloodied mouth leaked crimson and white toothpaste. Why did she act as if nothing strange was going on? He gaped at her, not understanding what was happening. The safety of his home evaporated as she spoke with her raw, torn mouth. "Make them wolf down their cereal, and toss them out of the house before they miss the bus."

"Alicia, who did this to you?" Eric asked. She did not answer him. She brushed her teeth, running the brush over her ragged gums where the teeth had been knocked out. His stomach heaved again, and he swallowed hard to keep from vomiting. He wanted to knock out the teeth of whoever had assaulted her, but she acted as if nothing was wrong. Why?

The phone rang. Who would be calling him at this hour? It wasn't even 7:30 yet. He asked Alicia again who had done this to her, but she didn't answer him. She dried her torn mouth, and then she smeared foundation over her face. To his horror, the foundation did not cover her bruises. It only made them look uglier and even more purple.

Eric walked to the phone and answered it.

"Hello?"

The phone continued to ring. Eric's steam-hazy mind knew that that wasn't supposed to happen.

"Hello?"

Eric woke up in bed to the ringing of the telephone on the dresser next to him. His wife, Carol, stirred at his side.

Things only get worse from that point on.

This year, in honor of my birthday, I plan to achieve the following:

1. Finish my erotic novel "Alex Craig Has A Threesome".

2. Finish my horror novel "Hell Time".

3. Walk on the beach more often this spring, summer, and fall.

4. Publish more erotic fairy tales.

5. Do more book readings.

Being born on Steak and BJ Day makes me think about sex and writing. I have my work cut out for me this year.


If you like sweet poignant romance with a touch of the macabre, you'll like "Alicia". You may find my other horror and dark fiction stories at my E. A. Black Amazon Author Page. http://www.amazon.com/E.A.-Black/e/B00BBWHMFM

If you prefer your romances with a bit of spice, check out my Amazon Author Page for more of my fiction. https://www.amazon.com/author/elizabethblack

Pick up your copy of "Alicia" at this link on Amazon:

"Alicia" -Dark Mocha Bites

Here's the Mocha Memoirs Press web page for the book:

"Alicia" by E. A. Black - MMP

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy some T-bones.


1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday! While Steak & BJ Day is nice, sounds as if April 14 will be a great day, too!

    ReplyDelete