Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Hook, line, and sinker...

I like to think of myself as an eclectic writer. The muses that keep me company whisper plots that are varied and at times very complicated. When I sit down to craft a story I like for it to be exciting, for it to have a hook that draws a reader in. Once I've hooked them I need to keep them on the line and in an effort to finish this strange analogy I've chosen, sink them into the very fabric of the story. As dialogue and scenes swirl in my head I try desperately to fit the pieces together so they have some semblance of coherence. It doesn't always work out that way, but I do keep trying, and eventually it all comes together (at least for me).

For 2014 I want to cast that hook out even further in hopes my line will stretch as far as my imagination has yet to reach. I want folks to sink into a story that leaves them with bated breath and the need to flip back to the beginning of the sentence, paragraph or page because they can't believe what they just read is true. I want all of this and more, but what I hope for most is that I never find that wanting is far more pleasing than having.

No comments:

Post a Comment