Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Writer's Bag of Tricks

Dragging myself to the keys (don't you just hate Christmas colds?) to make a suggestion to all my writerly friends.

Every writer needs a few tricks up their sleeves, and when Santa's been generous, or Christmas money is burning a hole in your pocket, I thought I would compile a list of a few things that every writer should own. (In my opinion, of course.)

First of all, Wonderbook: The Illustrated Guide to Creating Imaginative Fiction. This book is just amazing. I've only scratched the surface of it myself, but I know it will be a companion on the creative journey for a long, long time.

Second, Story Forge Cards, a plot building deck that helps shake pesky writers block in as much or as little detail as you want. Just got mine for Christmas, and I can't wait to experiment with them.

Third, a really great journal to carry around and jot notes into. This can be anything from a Moleskine notebook to a specialty journal. I got River Song's Deluxe Journal in my stocking, and it's already collecting words...

I carry these things around in my "Bag of Distractions" backpack, but feel free to corral your Muse and her inspirational tricks any way you choose. ;) Now, let's get writing!

[for those keeping track, the final total for 2013 was 145 rejections, 43 acceptances. We are shooting for 200 rejections this year.]

No comments:

Post a Comment