Friday, January 10, 2014

Wringing yourself out

Ever read a book where the author takes your heart and just wrings it out? You know the kind, you're crying, not knowing *how* the author is going to get the heroine through it all and kind of pissed off because how could she? How? How!!!

Those kind of scenes are hard for the author as well. I know, because I face one of those scenes right now. I've basically stripped my heroine of her support network, and now she's gonna go bat s**t crazy.
I'm a little bit closer to that state of mind than I'd like before diving in, but that's just the way things go.

The thing is this: we as writers love our characters. How could we not? They live inside our heads, our souls, trying to break out and become characters. Sometimes, if you suprise a writer writing... well, they'll answer in character. It's not always pretty, or nice.

Go ahead, try it. You know you want to :)


Just remember to go easy on us. Those scenes that wring you out? They are hell on wheels to write. Maybe bring your favorite writers a cup of coffee? Or chocolate? Please? I need lots and lots of caffeine and sugar to get me through this wringer!

No comments:

Post a Comment