Thursday, March 21, 2013

The question of sex.

I was intrigued by a quote I saw on Facebook;

"Sex" is not the answer. Sex is the question. "Yes" is the answer.

As a person that writes quite a bit of sexy time in her work I'm always asked, "Why sex?" To which I want to reply, "Why not?" Why does it have to be such a taboo as a writer that I've said yes to sex? I mean after all, when done right and with consent, sex is a marvelous thing. I mean, a life changing experience, that can turn a frown into a smile...no really, I've had some frowny face moments and WHAM, a little sexy time makes everything better. The best part of sex is I don't actually have to be doing it to enjoy it. A little bit of titillation (giggle) between the pages of a well told story can but me in the loveliest of moods.

As a writer when sex is the question rather than the answer, I feel it makes my story that much better. I don't just write sex because that isn't very interesting to me. I want a story, a narrative that transport me to another world, where I see the subtle intricacies of how one is desired and desires. Lust and Love can be bedmates in this tale or silent observers that each have a role, separate from the other. Sex as a question can be whispered very softly, purred against the soft shell of a sensitive ear, or declared rather boldly with a well placed word. Sex as a question isn't the only one but when asked I want the character to want to say yes, over and over again.

So, yes, sex please.

Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment