Thursday, April 10, 2014

What to do when you're laptop is falling apart....

So, I missed last month and I apologize HUGELY. I was the unfortunate victim of the blue screen of death. Also unfortunate was that I lost a lot of my writing, if not most.

Or so I thought.

But you see, us writers, we're wiley. Slightly crazy and definitely scared to death of loosing our documents. So we send them out to Beta Readers. We back them up in the silliest of places. I have an old monster of a tower sitting at my nieces house. Does not have WiFi capability. This is the second time I've had to have everything downloaded onto a stick so I could continue working on them.

One is a novella that contains the very first (and so far only) time when I killed off my main character at the end. I sobbed uncontrollably after writing that scene and could never go back and edit it and get it ready to go out. Now, I think I might be ready.

There are also the stories that are ready for prime time, but their author lacked the thick skin to send out and face rejection with them. Now? Eh. My writing isn't everyone's cup of tea. Light, sassy fantasy is a distinctive taste. But I know others like it.

Otherwise, Dragon's Champion would never had sold a copy. And my retelling of a fairy tale, Cinder's Ella, would never have sold (it is under contract with the lovely MMP, and I'll let you know as soon as I have dates).

So. We writers are crazy, and sometimes have a skewed perspective on any given genre.

But the saving grace is... We save our work in multiple places. So we can bring them to you.


Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment