Thursday, October 10, 2013

10x10: Kick Starting Creativity




This month, I wanted to look at some ways to kick start creativity. While I use them to get my writing kick started, these tricks work in a lot of areas of life although a few are peculiar to writers. In no particular order, here they go:

 Try the same thing another way. If you normally write on a computer, hand write a story. That’s how Dragon’s Champion was written--- one page at a time. If you draw with pencils, try chalk.

Try something completely different. Paint, sing, dance… anything to get the creativity flowing.

Take a walk, clear your head.

Have a place full of inspiration. For me, I have what I call a story board. A piece of cardboard with pictures that remind me of my current work in progress. Also, buts of jewelry, a piece of a key chain, a letter opener (that looks like a sword). It doesn’t matter what it is, if it speaks to me and the current WIP.

Music. Music, music, music. Sometimes, some stories, call for Bach or Behtoven. Others call for Motely Crue. And sometimes, you just need to dance around the house.


Take a break. If you’ve been burning the candles at both ends, you might need a nap.


Journal. Not only does it get you used to writing again, you never know when you’ll hit on a thought as your scribbling away.

Got to a museum and see some beautiful things.


Write a scene where your characters go to sing Karaoke. What song do they choose? How do they sing it? Timid? Brash?


Sometimes you just have to write BLAH BLAH BLAH COME BACK LATER and move on.

Hey! I did it! I made it to 10! Woohoo! In the meantime, I hope you all have a Happy Halloween with lots of treats. Until next time, my lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment